Glemsford School was founded in 1940 at the request of the then town mayor, Richard Longbottom, to ease the demand on the existing schools in the area created by all the children being evacuated from London during the second world war and resettled in Glemsford.
It was originally only for boys, as many schools were in those days, but in 1962 it became a co-educational environment when the local mothers who wanted to send their daughters to the school staged a protest and picketed the school for several weeks on Autumn. The teachers became sick of it all and put pressure on the governors to bow to their demands and let the girls in.
Since the turn of the millennium, the school has established itself as one of the best schools in Suffolk. The various head-teachers we’ve had have won several awards and gone on to occupy important positions in the government’s Education Authority.